LEGEND KEY TO STREET MAP OF
Translated by Jackie Silvestri Capurro
(handwritten under the JHS symbol)
"This symbol of Jesus Christ was invented by St.
Bernardino of Siena and was carved into the doors of families devoted to prayer."
1. Town Hall
2. Church of San Carlo (St. Charles). Built in 1612 by order of
family. Interesting is the heraldic coat-of-arms in stone on the facade. The
church is currently divided in two parts and used as a hayloft.
3. Ancient entry gate to the town.
4. Church of San Antonio Abate (Saint Anthony the Abbot).
Built in 1641.
Important altar dedicated to the saint; on the ceiling is a painting by Teofilo
Patini showing the Annunciation.
5. House demolished by German troops in 1944 as a reprisal
against the family
responsible for having hidden English prisoners.
6. The Palmara. A sturdy building in which are preserved large
(architectural elements) for supporting balconies, and a series of smaller
corbels for stone canals ideal for the collection of rain water.
7. Typical example of a rural house.
8. Piccolomini House. Attributed to this family (the
Piccolomini) because of a
coat-of-arms placed on an interior door. Notable are three windows from the
15th century between which is a two-paneled screen which is, unfortunately,
missing one small column.
9. Parish Church. Dedicated to San Nicola di Bari (Saint
Nicholas of Bari),
patron saint of the town. On the entrance is a coat-of-arms of the Piccolomini
house, and the year of construction, 1537.
10. 14th-Century Building. Next to this is a series of
11. Stone Canal. Collection system for rain water which carries it away to
the cisterns, the only system of water supply for many mountain towns without
12. Example of a towered house, cited by Mario Ortolani and
13. Series of characteristic stairways.
14. Church of San Leonardo (Saint Leonard). Built in 1263
according to the
inscription on the facade. It was a hostel, a type of shelter for pilgrims and
wayfarers. In a state of abandonment since 1700 (recently restored).
15. Path to climb to the lake.
16. Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Saint Mary of the
Graces). Built in
1594 by the Franciscans over a pre-existing church. Notable is the high altar
in gilded wood. In the cloister, there are frescoed lunettes commissioned by
noble families of Calascio. In the refectory, made up of walnut tables, one
can admire the Last Supper, a fresco completed by Fabritius Micarelli in 1643.
17. Typical small piazza and narrow lanes with archways
18. Ancient entry gate to the town. well-preserved are the
elements of the
archway and the stone (portocardini??).
19. Police Barracks. In the background, a garden monument
dedicated to the
painter Teofilo Patini.
20. Sports complex for tennis and soccer.